Shopping in Addis is quit a challenge and time consuming. Every week there are new products found and some items just disappear during the day. There are a lot of little market shops on the street for fruits and some basics, but as a western family, we mostly shop in supermarkets where they also sell some ‘western/ international’ products.
To give you a little insight:
I buy eggs, fruits and vegetables in Old Airport in the little street shops.
I buy my oranges (not to sour) in the Farmer’s market of the Queen supermarket.
Meat we mostly buy in Fresh Corner and all other products I mostly find in Fantu and Gara.
If they don’t have it, I visit Novis, Shoa and/ or Bambis.
Every now and than I compare the prices and products between the different supermarkets. I also follow some Telegram/ Facebook and WhatsApp posts to see where you can find products, like milk and butter, as they can be sold out for weeks.
After some time you discover which products you can best use to create your meal. So I would like to share my recipes with you to inspire you for an ‘Addis-easy-to- get -product’ dinner.
Every now and than i’ll update some recipes for you on this page, on my Pinterest page I daily update recipes, so please feel free to check!
- Creamy Carrot Ginger Soup
- Charred Broccoli Salad with Dates, Almonds, and Cheddar
- Whole roasted ricotta pasta
- Spring Rolls
- Miso Ginger Coleslaw
- Chicken Ramen
- Little gems with tarragon and hazlenut dressing
- Curried Chicken Mango Salad
Main dishes and side dishes
- Chicken and Potatoes with Dijon Cream Sauce
- Cheesy Root Vegetable Gratin
- Spicy Fried Chicken Boa Buns
- Corner Shop Curry Sauce
- Quick chicken hummus bowl
- Grilled Chicken with pineapple salad
- Roast new potato & pickle salad
- Spinach and Ricotte Pasta
- Greek-Style Casserol with courgette dumplings
- Chicken Hotpot
- Hawaiian Meatballs and Rice
- Beef, Broccoline and rice Noodle stir-fry
- Home-Style Chicken Ramen
- Little meatballs with parmesan garlic rice
- Mexican-style barbecued beef brisket with quick-pickled onions
- Parmesan Zucchini Fries
- Cucumber Tomato Avocada Salad
- Grilled Chicken Wraps
- Healthy Chicken Avocado Salad
- Saltimbocca alla Romana
- Creamy Coconut Lentil Curry
- Nice for kids spaghetti carbonara
- Mango & passion fruit meringue roulade
- Watermelon Popsicles for kids
- Mango Panna Cotta
- Watermelon sorbet
- Cinnamon Twist Bread
- Marinated Cherry Tomatoes
- Turkish Flatbread With Spinach and Feta
- Egg Salad for sandwiches
- Messy meatball buns
- Fudgy Chocolate Brownie Cookies
- Cilantro Yogurt Chutney with Naan bread
- Mushroom Polenta Bites
- Avocado Cilantro Hummus
- Fetta Yoghurt Aubergine rolls
- Easy Beef Empanada
- Pumpkin Hummus
- Tomato & Basil Bruschetta
- Spiral Vegetable Tart
- Vegan Tempura
- Flatbread with herb butter